Ten essential products for heating installers to carry on the van
As the heating season gets into full swing, demand for new heating installations or control replacements will increase ahead of winter.
It is important that any potential delays – such as not having the right product to hand - are minimised. Of course, carrying a range of heating system solutions to meet many eventualities can help cut out time-consuming visits to the merchant and back to the client.
Narrowing this down to the most useful is perhaps the more difficult part.
From high performing programmable and wireless thermostat products to essential wiring centres, motors, and leak protectors, we’ve picked out ten essentials that can help give real time and business-building benefit this heating season:
1. Honeywell Home DT4 Wired and Wireless Room Thermostat could save your customers up to 10%1 per year on heating bills when upgrading from a mechanical thermostat (Class I). Bringing together slim, modern design with simple functionality, this easy-to-use and install thermostat provides reliable room temperature control of heating systems for homes and apartments. It has been designed for compatibility with green energy systems, such as underfloor heating and heat pumps.
The large, clear LED display and wake-up button make it a popular choice for customers looking to update their controls. Now available in white, grey, and black, it is even easier to coordinate with a customer’s home décor. And for greater convenience, the DT4 range also offers wireless options for customers wanting flexible installation options.
2. Honeywell Home T3 range of Programmable Wired and Wireless Thermostats – ideal for customers wanting an affordable and reliable upgrade, the savings also stack up. Upgrading a mechanical thermostat (Class I) for a load compensating thermostat (Class IV), such as the Honeywell Home T3R could also see savings of up to 10%1 per year.
Developed to provide intuitive heating time and temperature control, the T3R works with gas boilers, combi boilers and heat pumps.
3. Two-Channel Programmers - the ST9000 range of heating control time switches and programmers is a great option when you are looking for a product that controls the timing of a heating or hot water system with either a 7-day or 1-day timer solution. When fitted with a room thermostat it is also compliant with Boiler Plus.
4. Automatic Air Vent – helping to release air from the system, the EA122-AB automatic air vent is useful for reducing installer callouts to remove air in airing cupboards and particularly hard to access areas, for example lofts. It also has a cap, should you need to close the valve completely for power flushing and air testing. The automatic air vent is fitted with a float valve which is easily maintained without the need to drain the system down.
5. Automatic Bypass Valve – ensure a minimum flow rate through the boiler and limit circulation pressure when other water paths are crossed. The DU144A helps to minimise flow noise and prevent overheating of the boiler when in no/low flow situations. Settings can be adjusted by the installer depending on the applications.
6. 10-way wiring centre – doing just what it says, the 10-way junction box has been designed to simplify the wiring of most domestic basic central heating installations.
7. Connected wireless programmable thermostats - Honeywell Home T6R – for customers wanting to go ‘smart’ with their heating controls, upgrading from a mechanical thermostat (Class I) to the Honeywell Home T6R Smart Thermostat could result in annual savings of up to 12%1.
Smart thermostats have a guided setup on both the thermostat and app, offer location-based temperature control (Geofencing) and are smart home ready. The T6R is compatible with 24-230V on/off and OpenTherm(R) appliances such as gas boilers, combi-boilers, and heat pumps.
8. Synchron Motor replacement - a spare for 2 way and 3 way valves, this motor is an easy low-cost speedy replacement with minimal wiring, without the need for draining down the heating system. This product will also replace other brands of valve motor.
9. L1 WiFi Water Leak and Freeze Detector - Even when customers are away from the home, the reliable L1 WiFi Water Leak and Freeze Detector monitors temperatures and can warn the customer of potentially damaging leaks. The compact, smart device sends mobile push and email notifications, alerting customers to a water leak, freezing temperatures, and humidity out of the set range.
Simply place the L1 WiFi Water Leak and Freeze Detector near a water heater, washing machine or sink to catch leaks early.
10. L5 WiFi Water Leak Shutoff Valve – a vital part of a water control system, working with the L1 leak detector, the L5 is installed on the stopcock to provide an automatic shutoff of the home’s water supply when a water leak is detected. It can be set up with the Resideo App so that when a water leak is detected, an alarm, along with mobile and email alerts, can be sent to customers or the installer.
Ideal for those wanting to protect their home from potentially expensive damage, or for owners with a second property or a holiday home that they don’t live in year-round.
1Source BEAMA, based on test environment using a timeclock, Class I on/off room thermostat and manual radiator valves, in an end-terrace/semi-detached house. Potential savings on energy bills through the application of heating control upgrades. Individual energy savings are dependent upon existing controls, environment, and lifestyle. Estimated savings correct on date of publication. https://www.beama.org.uk/resourceLibrary/winter-2022-23-fuel-bills-savings-using-heating-controls.html