Recently, Resideo’s Honeywell Home brand participated in an online Twitter chat with our partners at ENERGY STAR. Together, we educated those who participated about how they can stay cool, save energy and help protect the planet all summer long.
With more ENERGY STAR thermostats than any other manufacturer, Resideo’s Honeywell Home brand was on hand to answer questions and share information about our sustainability efforts.
The average household spends $2,000 a year on utility bills, with nearly half going to cooling and heating. Following are a few tips from the chat to help homeowners stay cool and save money:
Don’t Work Against Yourself — Seal and Insulate
- Air leaks make it a lot harder to keep the cool air inside. Sealing air leaks around the house and adding insulation can help make a home more comfortable and energy efficient, and provide a 10% savings on annual energy bills ($200 a year, according to ENERGY STAR).
- Not all houses are the same! For most southern climates, it is recommended to have 13-14 inches of insulation in the attic. For northern climate, 16-18 inches of attic insulation is recommended. See how to measure current insulation levels in this video.
Keep HVAC Running Smooth
- It’s recommended to change the HVAC’s air filter every three months to keep air flowing (depending on the filter). Dirty filters make the system work harder to keep the house cool.
- Don't forget the tune-up! Have a contractor give HVAC equipment an annual tune up to keep it at peak performance. To find a Resideo contractor who can help, visit: https://www.honeywellhome.com/en/contact-a-pro
Stay Smart to Keep Cool and Save Green
- An ENERGY STAR certified smart thermostat has been independently certified, based on actual field data, to save energy. It's is a Wi-Fi enabled device that can automatically adjust heating and cooling temperature settings for optimal performance, saving homeowners energy and money. Honeywell Home offers 18 different ENERGY STAR rated thermostats, and you can compare and shop them here.
- For easy savings, turn the thermostat up when away from the home, and avoid creating heat inside the home by choosing ENERGY STAR LED bulbs and not using the oven or dishwasher during the sun's peak hours.
- Keep out the hot sun — keep shades, blinds, or curtains closed on a hot day. Awnings and trees work even better.
Read more about Resideo and sustainability here.